Sunday, February 12, 2012

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles Book 1)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: January 25th 2012
Publishers: Razorbill AU
Available from: Amazon
Amazon UK
The Book Depository
The Nile
Source: Penguin Aus


Our mother was a witch too, but she hid it better.

I miss her.

To me, the magic feels like a curse. According to the Brothers, it's devil-sent. Women who can do magic-they're either mad or wicked. So I will do everything in my power to protect myself and my sisters. Even if it means giving up my life - and my true love.

Because if the Brothers discover our secret, we're destined for the asylum, or prison . . . or death.

********* 

I’ve just finished reading Born Wicked. It’s a fantastic book that I read in one sitting, I couldn’t put it down. The story evoked quite a lot of emotion in me and I’m still reeling from the ending.
Cate Cahill is a witch. Her mother died and left her with a huge burden she has been carrying around for years. I haven’t found a character so likeable in a while. Cate is strong and independent, almost to a fault. She loves her sisters dearly and will do anything to keep them safe; from the insidious Brotherhood who would trial them as witches to the seemingly bland Sisterhood. Both orders want the sister’s but for vastly different reasons. Each of the girls have vital roles to play in a future that could destroy the Brotherhood or help put the Sisterhood back in power.
I loved the setting of turn of the century America, with an alternate history. The Brotherhood rules over everyone with women having almost no rights. They are made to choose a husband or declare themselves to the Sisterhood. Cate feels stifled by society and the choices that are thrust upon her. Several mysteries are revealed that shake Cate to her core and make her doubt her decisions regarding her sisters and their entire lives. I enjoyed how everything is revealed and felt Cate’s pain and frustrations. I admired her throughout the entire novel, finding her refreshing compared to a lot of vapid and weak characters.
I know I’ve been getting annoyed with all the YA books that have love triangles, and there is a small one in Born Wicked with Cate having two suitors. Paul is her best friend and Finn is a local boy she’s never really spoken to. Although there are two boys, Cate knows who she wants even though propriety discourages it. The development of the romance between them is seductive, and had me cheering for their happiness! You will love this couple so much!
Born Wicked is slow to start but it picks up quickly and the last few chapters are when the story really gets going. I was captivated entirely, only putting it down to stuff my face, then running back to pick it up. It’s an incredible book that you have to read to understand just how great it is. I love it!
5/5

3 comments:

  1. I bought this book just over a week ago and I'm so excited to crack it open! It sounds like it'll be awesome and I'm looking forward to reading the whole witches thing. Thanks for the review!

    BTW: I'm stopping over from Brodie's blog :) Awesome job on your post! Puck is pretty awesome, huh? <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you like the review. I'm sure you'll love it.

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now. Unfortunately, it is on the bottom of my TBR pile :(

    ReplyDelete