Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review - Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian (Lux book 1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Publishers: Entangled Publishing
Available from: Amazon
Amazon UK
The Book Depository
Source: Amazon

Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbour, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.
*********
I’ve heard plenty over hype over the last few months about Jennifer L. Armentrout. People have been gushing over her books…and now I understand why. Obsidian is amazing! To say I was impressed is an understatement. I bought Obsidian on my lunch break at work on Thursday, which wasn’t the best idea as I had to keep sneaking in a couple of pages on my phone when no one was looking! I’m surprised my manager didn’t confiscate my phone. I came home and continued to read it on my Kindle and could not put it down!

I loved the first impressions of both Katy and Daemon. Your drawn immediately into their world and they sparks fly instantly. They’re like an explosion, they burn hot and fast and leave you breathless. I can say I haven’t read many YA books where there has been such an intense reaction between two characters. I loved every scene that Katy and Daemon were in. The good and the bad. Katy thinks of herself as rather bland and unassuming, but doesn’t realise she has a hidden feisty side; which Daemon constantly draws out of her. She gives as good as she gets. Then there’s Daemon. Ahh Daemon, Daemon, Daemon. This guy is beyond arrogant, overbearing, cocky, narcissistic and any other similar adjectives you can throw in. So why do we love him? I can’t seem to explain it…he just owns every page. He’s hot, seductive and even though he is all those adjectives, you begin to understand why he is the way he is. He pushes Katy away because he can’t protect his family and her. For him it can only be one or the other. They push each other’s buttons like nobody’s business.

There aren’t many alien books out there and I am always wondering if they can make it work. This is definitely one book where it does. Obsidian is a little like I am Number Four in a couple of ways, but Obsidian is about 500 times better. I loved the whole storyline; aliens from a distant planet trying to make a new life for themselves on a new planet. The action is exciting, the romance scorching. Enthralling and compelling, Obsidian has a powerful and irresistible effect on you. I don’t know what more I can say I just hope I’ve done it justice. Go and buy a copy and lose yourself in the magnificent world Jennifer L. Armentrout has created. You’ll be joining the Daemon Black band wagon once you’ve read it, I’m sure.
5/5

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the 'gushing' over these books and Jennifer's writing!! How much fun was this book!

    Wonderful review:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review! I've seen so many 5 star ratings for this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsidian was seriously just awesome, and dare I say that I liked it even better than Half-Blood? Yes, I do DARE SAY that Obsidian kicks Half-Blood's ass in terms of awesomeness!

    I really liked how Jennifer captures the teenage voice in this book. It's very believable and I hate it when authors try too hard when they try to imitate what a teenager should sound like. I also really liked the plot. The momentum builds up more and more until the final, epic conclusion! Although this book was engrossing, I couldn't feel like I was getting really into it until I was over halfway done.

    ReplyDelete