Monday, October 7, 2013

Review - Dance for Me by Helena Newbury

Title: Dance For Me (Fenbrook Academy #1)
Author: Helena Newbury
Age Group: New Adult
Release Date: 25th June 2013
Publishers: Foster and Black
Available from: Amazon

Source: Own purchase

Natasha is one of the most promising ballet dancers at the prestigious Fenbrook Academy of Performing Arts and she’s just landed a life-changing audition. But no one knows the guilt she carries...or the damage it makes her inflict on herself when she’s alone.
Darrell is a multi-millionaire designer at 25. But past traumas have pushed him into isolation and the intense pressure of his work has brought him to the edge of burnout. Seeking inspiration, he sees Natasha dance and hires her as his muse.

As she dances for him, the two become entwined in a passionate but troubled relationship. He starts to see the pain inside her and helps her gradually lower her defences...but Darrell has demons of his own. Can two broken people save each other? Or will the darkness they’re hiding consume them both?
_________
I bought Dance For Me after I received an email from Amazon telling me about similar books to Kylie Scott’s Lick. I read the excerpt first and enjoyed it, the brief glimpse into the story making my finger 1-Click trigger happy. Plus it was only .99c. I am not a dancer in any way, shape or form, but I like watching dance movies and reading books about dancers. This way I can live through them and experience what it would be like to have any form of coordination.

Dance For Me is a New Adult contemporary romance and it drew me in from the first page. I’m not a big fan of contemporary books, but I have been trying to include more in my TBR. This one certainly did not disappoint! I was absolutely enchanted by the story. I know nothing about ballet but it didn’t distract me from the book at all. I could swear the author was a dancer from the exquisite way she describes each dance scene. Her writing is flawless. If she’s not, then she must have done some extreme research.

Natasha and Darrell are both broken and cast adrift in life. They’re both hiding secrets from their pasts, and just existing. They don’t live, instead throwing themselves into their passions. Natasha is a prodigious dancer at Fenbrook and Darrell is millionaire designer. I love how their relationship progresses throughout the book, it’s quite explosive in the start and I was constantly wondering how the author would develop the lustful beginning and turn it in to a burgeoning relationship. It is full of so much emotion and angst, I felt wrung out by the end of it. The demons that Natasha and Darrell hide from each other begin to surface and you get see how strong these two are on their own, but also how much stronger they could be as a couple. Love turns to hate, and my heart broke along with them. I had to wonder if their stubbornness and the walls they’d built around themselves would ever be broken. Can two damaged people heal each other or will they let the darkness devour them?

The character development of Natasha and Darrell flows through one point of view to the next smoothly, giving insight into each of them without feeling like you’ve been jolted from the story. Dance For Me is beautiful, ugly and so engrossing you won’t be able to put it down. Helena Newbury is definitely a talent to watch out for.
4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment